Spiritual Forums - Spirits Journey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Native American Proverbs

+5
parrotlover100
WhiteShaman
Vanilla2
Wind-Dancer
Linda
9 posters

Go down

Native American Proverbs Empty Native American Proverbs

Post by Linda September 15th 2009, 7:17 pm

Cree

* "Listen or your tongue will keep you deaf."
* "Only when the last tree has withered, the last fish has been caught, and the last river has been poisoned, will you realize you cannot eat money."

Blackfoot

* "Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas."
* "Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

Mohawk

* "A good chief gives, he does not take."

Navajo

* "It's impossible to awaken a man who is pretending to be asleep."
* "A rocky vineyard does not need a prayer, but a pick ax."
* "You cannot see the future with tears in your eyes."

Cheyenne

* "Beware of the man who does not talk, and the dog that does not bark."
* "A danger foreseen is half-avoided."
* "Our first teacher is our own heart."
* "If a man is as wise as a serpent, he can afford to be as harmless as a dove."

Tuscarora

* "Those who have one foot in the canoe, and one foot in the boat, are going to fall into the river."
* "Man has responsibility, not power."
* "They are not dead who live in the hearts they leave behind."

Unknown Tribe

* "We do not inherit the world from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children. Duty on us to return it to them in the absolute situation"
* "Listening to a liar is like drinking warm water."
* "When a fox walks lame, the old rabbit jumps." Oklahoma
* "Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed." Plains
* "Not every sweet root gives birth to sweet grass."
* "The coward shoots with eyes close." Oklahoma
* "If you raindance... You will get your teepee wet."
* "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand."
* "Tell the truth always even if it is bitter to taste."
* "If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both."
* "The Great Spirit gave you two ears and only one mouth, so you can talk half as much as you listen."
* "The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears."

I ran across these today when I was exploring wikipedia.com, I copied my favorite ones, hope you enjoyed
Linda
Linda
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 757
Hobbies : Living
Tell us about yourself : I feel at peace outdoors, listening to nature, the birds to the bubbling creek, recharges my soul.
Appreciation Points : 1030
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Native American Proverbs Empty Re: Native American Proverbs

Post by Wind-Dancer September 16th 2009, 7:58 am

all of them very true thanks for sharing them
Wind-Dancer
Wind-Dancer
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 673
Hobbies : gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, reading
Tell us about yourself : Im half cherokee and half irish.Im very proud of my heritage. Im a rebel at heart.
Appreciation Points : 931
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla2 September 16th 2009, 8:35 am

Many I have heard before, many I'm reading for the very first time.
I'm particularly drawn to this one Linda, I never thought of it like this before, this is my lesson for today.............

"We do not inherit the world from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children. Duty on us to return it to them in the absolute situation"
Vanilla2
Vanilla2
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 1209
Appreciation Points : 1613
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteShaman September 16th 2009, 8:43 am

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I found myself reading these with same wonder and amazement as when I first read the words of Jesus.
Thank you for sharing! I love these people!
Some of my favorites:
“….we borrow the world from our children”
“It is impossible to awaken a man pretending to sleep”
“Life is not separate from death, it only appears that way”
“If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both”
Good Post
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman

Male
Number of posts : 495
Hobbies : Art, Nature, Volunteer work
Appreciation Points : 543
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by parrotlover100 September 16th 2009, 1:44 pm

yes i have to agree this was a very good post.it's like the parables from the bible,with good teachings. Thank You Very Happy Thumb
parrotlover100

Female
Number of posts : 454
Hobbies : reading
Appreciation Points : 425
Registration date : 2008-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being September 16th 2009, 2:50 pm

Wonderful Native American Proverbs

I loved all of them the two that stood out to me are:

"Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas."

This couldn't be more true, everynight i sleep with my dog Bella and come to realize that my scalp was itching, bella has fleas and somehow the fleas liked my long hair and were iritating my scalp. Sad thing is i had to shave my hair and my beard :-o, ,o-: would i do things different? No Bella still sleeps on the bed with me, i shaved Bellas long hair off her so that i could see the fleas and pick them off her to controlling the flea population and hopefully rid the home of them as well. I know fleas have some purpose here on earth but at the moment i am finding it difficult to find the meaning.

"Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

In my life i have begun to realize is that the word Death is one that we use and many are fearful to speak of death. I feel a much healthier and non fearful phrase would be pass on or move on when we use these words it does not feel final it is only when we use the word death that it begins to feel final. But even death is life, if we could change the definition of death and change the idea behind what we have taught ourselves about death, we would see something extraordinary. Death & Life are linked and each holds a wonderful Journey.

Death = Living - Alive
Life = Living - Alive

Many Blessings
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male
Number of posts : 2293
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature
Appreciation Points : 2727
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda September 16th 2009, 6:54 pm

Spirit-Being, sorry you and Bella are struggling with fleas, and had to go hairless (-:
I looked up on wikipedia and found this, hope it helps, Huggz

What are natural ways to get rid of fleas?

Identifying the problem is the first step. Watch your pet for excess scratching, scabs forming on their skin and "flea dirt" or dark speck of "dirt" found on the skin. These are all signs your pet has fleas. Fleas can also carry tapeworms, so noticing small rice-like specks in their feces or around their rear area could not only be a sign of worms, but of fleas as well. In severe cases, your pet may be lethargic and his gums could turn a pale color. Many pets either are or can become allergic to flea saliva, so watch also for any allergic reactions that may occur suddenly.If you notice any of these symptoms, specially the later ones, please seek out your vet as soon as possible.

Step2

If you can catch them early enough, you should be able to control and eliminate the flea problem easily. However, it will take patience and endurance. This first natural remedy, using a tonic of lemons and water needs to be applied daily to your pet, but should not be used around any extremely irritated areas or any broken skin/open scabs from scratching.Slice and boil 1 lemon for each pint of water. Boil lemons in the water for at least 15 minutes, then allow to sit overnight. Drain and place in a glass bottle. Apply it to your pet using a soft cloth, getting as close to the skin as possible and coating their fur. Repeat daily until all signs of fleas are gone. This can also be used as a preventive measure.

Step3

Dr. Bronner's castile soap comes in bar or liquid form. A natural castile soap or shampoo can be used on your pet to help rid it of fleas. Dr. Bronner's almond castile soap is a gentle soap that will also help keep your pet's skin soft and fur shiny and healthy. The ingredients are all natural, no man-made chemicals, no animal testing, and organic. Castile soap comes in many different types and with different natural additives, from peppermint to lavender. All should work well, although the straight castile soap with no added ingredients would be best until you have tested the others on your pet.

Step4

If your pet has fleas, then you can be certain your house does as well. While throughly vacuuming and cleaning any area your pet may have traveled, especially where they sleep, will help with the problem, keep in mind that fleas can jump and are able to leap over large distances. Rather than call in an exterminator (which in extreme cases, you still may need to do) try this environmentally safe flea trap.Find a lamp and place a low watt (60 watts or less) light bulb in it. Turn the light on and leave it shining all night, so that it is the only light in any given room. Place water in a light colored shallow pan. Place this pan on the floor directly under the light, rigging the light so it shines in it. Add a tablespoon of dish soap to the water, stirring so it mixes well. Let sit overnight. You may need to do this in several rooms.Fleas will be attracted to the light and will jump into the shallow pan, and become trapped. Keep the pan in place each night until no fleas are found in the morning.

Step5

Capsanem is just one type of beneficial Nematode used to kill fleas. Shady areas in yards are a haven for fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. If your pet is allowed out of the house this is more than likely the place they picked up the fleas and so must also be treated. While sunlight will kill fleas, the shady areas of your yards will need to be treated. Chemicals are available, but it is more environmentally safe and better for your pet, to use a natural combatant. Nematodes are microscopic worms that thrive on flea larvae, eggs and cocoons. Available at most garden supply stores, they will need to be applied to the yard at least once a month or until all fleas are gone.Another all natural product available is Diatomaceous Earth. Made from the finely ground fossils of prehistoric fresh water diatoms, this fine powder kills common household and garden pests like fleas,roaches and ants while still being safe for all other animal life. This will need to be applied more often, specially after any rainfall.

Adding a thin layer of salt to your carpet and leaving it on for a couple of days before vacuuming will hopefully kill the fleas and eggs there. The way this works is it basically desiccate them!

A flea collar can be made by rubbing a few drops of one of the following into an ordinary webbing or rope collar or even a doggy bandanna: eucalyptus oil, Tea Tree Oil, citronella, lavender or geranium. This should be done weekly.
Linda
Linda
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 757
Hobbies : Living
Tell us about yourself : I feel at peace outdoors, listening to nature, the birds to the bubbling creek, recharges my soul.
Appreciation Points : 1030
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Native American Proverbs Empty In honor of "Flea"

Post by WhiteShaman September 17th 2009, 7:53 am

I feel the need to post some information on the deeper meaning of our little friends the flea.
It is very interesting and teaches us all things have a purpose and something to teach us. This from http://www.wildspeak.com/vilturj/totems/wflea.html

WhiteShaman

FLEA
Flea - Dependent Vampire

Keywords:

Accumulative Damage. Vampirism (emotional, physical, other). Aversion to Light. Metamorphosis. Rebirthing. Looking After Ourselves and our Environment. Running Away From Problems. Sensitivity to Environment. Dependence Upon Others. Hurting the ones you Love. Blood Wisdom. The Dependent Vampire.

General Description:

All fleas are compressed laterally and are wingless, parasitic insects that subsist on blood. They have well-developed back legs in their mature stage that enables them to leap from host to host. Fleas have a sense organ on their bodies which is very sensitive to vibration and air currents. Fleas have multiple stages of complete metamorphosis, moving from eggs, to larvae, to pupa and then to adult. In their larval stages they avoid light and will survive off feathers, adult flea feces, hair and skin. Only the adult flea requires blood to survive. There are many different species of flea, some are cat-specific, human-specific, dog-specific etc. Each have different adaptations suited to this animal.

Lessons:

Please remember that if this animal is contacting you, it will often be the best resource for teaching you what its lessons are. What I write is only intended to be a guide, it is not absolute, nor is it infallible.

- If flea has come into your life as a guide (usually through biting us!) we are reminded to look after ourselves and our environment, and to practice vigilance. If we are lazy about how we look after ourselves, we can get physically, emotionally and spiritually harmed. We can even become seriously ill. Make sure you look after your environment and your body.

- Flea represents vampirism (emotional, physical, other). Flea suggests that we might be taking the energy from others - particularly those close to us - without even realising it. This vampirism is a sign of dependence upon others that can become unhealthy. We may also be preyed upon for energy, because we give our energy away too easily. Flea represents the dependent vampire, who will take from those he cares about most.

- Flea indicates a need for darkness and can represent the people who have an aversion to light. If flea has come into your life, it might be time to retreat into shelter, and take stock of your life. Fleas are highly sensitive to their environment, and you might find yourself overwhelmed by too much environmental stimuli. Quiet, dark places will heal you during the time that flea is around.

- Flea represents a time of accumulative damage. Flea bites are small, but the more we get, the more our health and immune system struggles. This accumulative damage can happen in other aspects of our life, small problems that never get sorted out add up until they become overwhelming. Look at each small problem in your life, and address them thoroughly to prevent a situation that feels uncontrollable.

- Fleas are adept at running away from their problems. It might be time for you to actually get away from a dangerous situation, if confrontation is no longer helping. Sometimes walking away is the healthiest thing we can do.

- Flea represents metamorphosis and rebirthing. When flea comes into our life, particularly in our dreams and visualisations, it is be time to turn over a new leaf and change our lifestyle. It is time to embrace change.

- When flea comes into our lives, it is time to assess whether we are hurting the ones we love, by either pulling on too many of their resources, using them emotionally, materially or spiritually, or if we're literally just taking away too much of their energy through never listening to them or giving them a chance to recharge.

- Finally flea represents blood wisdom. All aspects of blood, ancestry, knowledge, energy, wisdom etc. are part of the flea's domain. Indeed the domain of any animal that requires blood to survive. If you wish to understand blood memories, blood secrets and how to connect to your ancestry, a connection with flea may aid you.

If you have Flea as your Totem:

People with this animal as a totem will often manifest traits similar to the animal itself. I work on the philosophy that we only have one totem, and it teaches us lessons as well as representing the core aspects of our personality. Therefore -

- Flea people tend to be codependent, or in codependent relationships throughout their whole lives. They may be abusive, but usually just tend to be people who need the energy of other people and animals in order to live. One of their main lessons in life is to learn how give and take in a way that permits their partner or friends to survive emotionally and spiritually in long-term relationships. These people are able to get away from their problems with ease, which also means they may never confront some of the less savoury aspects of their behaviour. It is a rare person who will admit to having flea medicine, which is a powerful medicine for directing energy.

There will be other ways your totem manifests, and you will recognise them with awareness and communion.

As shadow guide/totem:

The shadow totem is the animal we often fear irrationally, that teaches us things about ourselves that are profound and difficult to confront. Often the traits we fear most within the shadow totem, are the traits that we dislike in ourselves. We must scrutinise why this is, and learn how to work with them.

- Well, I don't know many people who like flea, who seems to be far more common as a shadow totem, mainly because flea drinks blood. Flea attacks us, and threatens our physical well being, and the wellbeing of any pets we may have too. For this reason, we tend not to like flea, because flea reminds us that even when we are being vigilant there is a chance that we can be used for our resources and taken advantage of. Every part of our lives is constantly under threat, and the creatures that take from us, remind us of the humans that can take from us, and how life can put us in situations where we are taken advantage. It is important then, to learn that despite the constant threat of harm, we are able to live our lives as fully as possible. Fleas are a problem, but they are not the end of the world if we are vigilant and enjoy our lives. It is important to learn that flea reminds us of something positive, that despite harm, we are able to soldier on and lead fulfilling and wholesome lives.

- Those who hate flea are people who (understandably) tend to hate those around them who use and abuse people. They might know of people who vampiristically use their friends, they might never seem to give anything back. Hating these people is a response that enables us to protect ourselves from these people, but is it effective? And is hatred healthy? We need to confront this hatred, and understand the people what we may revile because of their decisions to use the people around them. Without understanding, we are left in a situation of ignorance and intolerance. We don't have to like their actions, but it is important to take the time to understand the motivations of using/abusing, and then understand why we don't do it.

Contacting Flea:

Like all animal helpers, this animal will only appear when right and appropriate, and cannot be forced to visit you, commune with you, or share messages with you. Flea can be contacted via meditation / visualisation / journeying and of course in real life. Flea can be a cryptic guide and teacher, but the lessons are valuable.
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being September 22nd 2009, 12:09 pm

Thank You Linda & WhiteShaman your posts were very helpful i am working on riding the house from fleas i will be trying the natural remedies you have listed above i like the salt idea i will be trying this. I have noticed that i have become Lazy really bad habit i am sure that this is the reason i have all these fleas in the house. The fleas have taught me something and so have you WhiteShaman Thanks Guys :lovesigh:

Many Blessings
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male
Number of posts : 2293
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature
Appreciation Points : 2727
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteShaman September 22nd 2009, 12:22 pm

Spirit-Being wrote:Thank You Linda & WhiteShaman your posts were very helpful i am working on riding the house from fleas i will be trying the natural remedies you have listed above i like the salt idea i will be trying this. I have noticed that i have become Lazy really bad habit i am sure that this is the reason i have all these fleas in the house. The fleas have taught me something and so have you WhiteShaman Thanks Guys :lovesigh:

Many Blessings

Your very welcome! :Ooo:
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by d-knots September 25th 2009, 7:57 pm

my daughters cat got sandfleas

some time ago it was suggested
to use a degreaser like DAWN
to wash your pet with
and it WORKS!

we recently washed the cat
for about a half hour
3 applications
the water and the soap both
kill the fleas...

It's not a quick dip
take the time to give the
degreaser to work
your pet will be fine

in fact they aren't used to being well
and might seek to acquire fleas again
because either don't know what they are doing
or they know what they are doing....LOL Rain
d-knots
d-knots
Administrators
Administrators

Number of posts : 760
Appreciation Points : 799
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by freebie November 9th 2009, 2:04 pm

Thank you for sharing these proverbs.
freebie
freebie

Female
Number of posts : 32
Hobbies : Gardening, Knitting, watching TV, and movies
Tell us about yourself : I consider myself a curious learner, I love to experience life and the things in it.
Appreciation Points : 40
Registration date : 2009-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ATouchofHeart April 24th 2013, 10:04 pm

I enjoyed reading these again. Thank you.
ATouchofHeart
ATouchofHeart

Female
Number of posts : 808
Location : Southern, California on a Indian Reservation. Search for truth in Spirituality.
Hobbies : Everything Spiritual, Machine Embroidery, Quilting, Writing Poetry, Computer and creative software, Writing, Artwork.....never bored.
Tell us about yourself : I’m a widow; I lost my spouse April 16, 1999 to a broken heart and Cancer. He was a Native American. I have lived on his Reservation in California for 37 years. We were married 23 years. We had two children, lost one to a drunk driver in 97 before my spouse died. I started my spiritual journey when son passed; but woke up to spirituality abruptly June 2009 when I had an event reading by James Van Praagh and he brought through eight deceased relatives. I would love to be a medium in the future, and share that spiritual connection with those who have lost. I take photos of spirits in clouds. One of my favorite spirit photographs at night is an apparition of a Native American Male.
Appreciation Points : 972
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down