Spiritual Forums - Spirits Journey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the I-Ching?

3 posters

Go down

What is the I-Ching? Empty What is the I-Ching?

Post by Spirit-Being December 13th 2008, 7:13 pm

What is the I-Ching?

Wejee's

• The I-Ching, or Book of Changes, is the world's oldest oracle- more than 5,000 years old! Most legends say that the oracle was first devised by Fu Hsi, the godlike first Emperor of China, who is also credited with the invention of writing, and cooking. One day, while bathing in the Yellow River, he noticed the patterns on the shell of a tortoise; this led him to observe the patterns of nature, and thus, understand the very structure of reality itself. Fu Hsi developed a system of trigrams, which he called the Book of Changes.

• Two thousand years later, the good King Wen was falsely imprisoned by the last heir to the tyranical Shang dynasty. While incarcerated, Wen studied The Book of Changes, and by dividing and doubling Fu Hsi's original trigrams, created the hexagrams we know today.

• The I-Ching is based on the concept of Yin and Yang- the balance of polarized opposites, the two primary forces of the Universe. Yang is creative, light and active, while Yin is receptive, dark and passive. Together, they form a complimentary pair which is always seeking balance.

How does the I-Ching Work?

• The I-ching is part of a numerological system, with even numbers as Yin, and odd numbers as Yang. In the hexagrams, Yin is represented by a broken line, Yang is represented by a whole line. To use the i-ching coins for divination, one side is designated as Yin, the other as Yang. Tossing the coins, and recording the results, forms the hexagram from the bottom line up. Once you have formed your hexagram, then it is time to turn to the Book of Changes for the meaning of that hexagram. There are sixty-four possibilities.

• How you approach your question is key- avoid "yes/no" or concrete questions, because the Book of Changes provides metaphors that are rich with imagery, and asking what the consequences of certain actions is more apporopriate. So, instead of asking "Should I move to a new home?", ask "What will be the effects of moving to a new home?" or "What will be the ramifications if I stay where I am?" The I-Ching is a book of wisdom, and it must be approached with a desire for wisdom, rather than a desire for cut and dried answers telling you what to do. The ultimate decision is always in your hands, and the I-Ching is a venerable and wise advisor in the balance of the forces at play.
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male
Number of posts : 2293
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature
Appreciation Points : 2727
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

What is the I-Ching? Empty Re: What is the I-Ching?

Post by Spirit-Being July 18th 2009, 7:18 pm

Many Blessings :Hello:
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature

Back to top Go down

Post by freebie November 9th 2009, 12:47 pm

I just learned about the I-Ching and became very interested in it though I still don't know a lot about it. Thank you for the information.
freebie
freebie

Female
Number of posts : 32
Hobbies : Gardening, Knitting, watching TV, and movies
Tell us about yourself : I consider myself a curious learner, I love to experience life and the things in it.
Appreciation Points : 40
Registration date : 2009-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by d-knots November 11th 2009, 12:45 pm

here is that link that was originally
from SpiritBeing's Tarot link
only for

ORACLES

at the I Ching
section my
results are

__
- -
__
- -
- -
- -

Progress
Advance
FIRE above and EARTH below:
Strength and tranquillity (without pride) is generously rewarded,
in threes appear the sign.
d-knots
d-knots
Administrators
Administrators

Number of posts : 760
Appreciation Points : 799
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being November 11th 2009, 5:54 pm

This is actually my second result as the first one disappeared when i tried to copy the hexagrams and then found out its not possible, this was very interesting

The Gentle (The Penetrating)

Advice
WIND, above and WIND, below: After seeking advice, tread slowly and precisely with care. Softly, gently, deftly.

I gained so much from these very few words, whenever i do any sort of reading for myself or for others i always look for the teaching for myself. I am very hard on myself i push myself to breaking points i feel this is telling me to take it easy let go and enjoy the flow of Spiritual energy coming through to me.

Many Blessings
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by d-knots November 11th 2009, 6:50 pm

yeah,
I used my keyboard to
similate the graphics they had
the long line
then the two short ones ...etc...

you just have to go with who you are
at the time of the choices you make

I took my time
because I didn't want to be
sent to oblivion...LOL Chop Wood
d-knots
d-knots
Administrators
Administrators

Number of posts : 760
Appreciation Points : 799
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum