Spiritual Forums - Spirits Journey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vision Quest

2 posters

Go down

Vision Quest Empty Vision Quest

Post by Wind-Dancer January 30th 2009, 8:40 pm

A vision quest is a personal spiritual journey undertaken by someone as a rite of passage. Vision quests are especially closely associated with Native American culture, where they are typically used by children and adults to find their way in life, although other cultures have some form of the vision quest as well. In addition to being used in youth, a vision quest can also be undertaken later in life by someone who feels like he or she is in need of guidance and assistance.

The mechanics of a vision quest vary, depending on the culture in which the rite is performed. Commonly, a vision quest is done alone, with the seeker choosing to isolate him or herself in a remote place or an enclosed space. The seeker may also choose to fast while on a vision quest, and in some cultures, people consume various psychoactive substances which are said to open the mind. It is also common for people to play instruments, sing, and meditate to focus their spirituality during the vision quest. Typically, the seeker enters into a trance or dreamlike state as part of the quest.

In some cultures, people must undergo a form of purification before embarking on a vision quest. Such purifications are often led by shamans or other holy men, who may lead the seeker through a series of cleansing rituals in sweat lodges, streams, or other locations. The shaman may also anoint the seeker with markings or substances which are meant to enhance the vision quest experience.

The duration of a vision quest varies, with most people remaining at the location they have chosen until they receive a vision or some form of guidance. Many cultures believe that a spirit guide will appear during a vision quest, often in the guise of an animal, and that the animal will guide and protect the seeker as he or she experiences a vision. During the vision, the seeker hopes to learn more about his or her path in life.

People who have done vision quests often say that they are powerful, cathartic, and sometimes life-changing experiences. The combination of fasting, deep meditation, and isolation can also help to clear the mind, so even if one doesn't believe in the idea of visions, a vision quest can still be used to bring greater focus and clarity to life.

http://www.ritesofpassagevisionquest.org/main/the-vision-quest.html
Wind-Dancer
Wind-Dancer
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 673
Hobbies : gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, reading
Tell us about yourself : Im half cherokee and half irish.Im very proud of my heritage. Im a rebel at heart.
Appreciation Points : 931
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Vision Quest Empty Re: Vision Quest

Post by Spirit-Being January 30th 2009, 8:58 pm

As i read this i felt inspired, you will hear me use the word inspire alot i absolutely Love this word, i would love to go on a vision quest, maybe i will one day.

Many Blessings
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male
Number of posts : 2293
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature
Appreciation Points : 2727
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down